Happy National Apple Dumpling Day!
Did you know apples rarely grow in tropical countries? Apples are hard to find at supermarkets in Latin America and the Caribbean – but really, who cares as long as you can eat Haitian mangoes and avocados!
Apples are rich in antioxidants, flavanoids, and fiber. The phytonutrients and antioxidants are believed to help reduce the risk of developing cancer, hypertension, diabetes, and heart disease.
Be grateful for our bounty by making an apple dumpling this weekend:
- purchase or make pastry for a double-crust pie
- 6 large Granny Smith or Jonagold apples, peeled and cored
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Butter a 9 x 13 pan.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry into a large rectangle, about 24 by 16 inches. Cut into 6 square pieces. Place an apple on each pastry square with the cored opening facing upward. Cut butter into 8 pieces. Place 1 piece of butter in the opening of each apple; reserve remaining butter for sauce. Divide brown sugar between apples, poking some inside each cored opening and the rest around the base of each apple. Sprinkle cinnamon and nutmeg over the apples.
- With slightly wet fingertips, bring one corner of pastry square up to the top of the apple, then bring the opposite corner to the top and press together. Bring up the two remaining corners, and seal. Slightly pinch the dough at the sides to completely seal in the apple. Repeat with the remaining apples. Place in prepared baking dish.
- In a saucepan, combine water, white sugar, vanilla extract and reserved butter. Place over medium heat, and bring to a boil in a large saucepan. Boil for 5 minutes, or until sugar is dissolved. Carefully pour over dumplings.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes. Place each dumpling in a dessert bowl, and spoon sauce over the top.
- Feeling especially plucky? Add a generous dollop of whipped cream.
So what goes great with apple dumplings?
(you knew this was coming)
A cup of #haitiancoffee.